Monday 13 September 2010

Bike ride

Well yesterday was my 51 mile bike ride from Glasgow to Edinburgh!

I can report that I survived and have raised about £300 for Arthritis Care. The weather was absolutely beautiful, 9000 people took part in the ride and we couldn't have asked for better. The route was a steady uphill for the first 15-20 miles and then it had long fast downhills and only little uphills (which was good because by the end I could barely pedal on the flat, let alone uphill!!).

I was actually fine and full of energy until about 40 miles in. We had a long stop at 30 miles in to get food and refreshments. The last 7-8 miles were a real struggle but it felt absolutely amazing to finish.

The past week my hip and right foot had been a bit grumpy and achy, nothing major but I was worried a big cycle wouldn't do them much good. I'd also been at a friend's wedding in England on Friday/Saturday and flew back Saturday night so I didn't feel very rested. However, not a peep from the hip or foot yesterday or today. This disease is so weird and unpredictable, sometimes in a good way!

The only casualty was one swollen finger joint, I think from gripping the gears, but that's better today. So, overall... not too bad!!! I've got the day off work today and I'm just going to sit in bed. My muscles are pretty sore but I feel great!

Here's some pics.. I look like a total idiot in that helmet/leggings combo but whatever ;)

The start of the race:


Stopping for a break:


View in Linlithgow:


Tired? Me?


The finish


Looking horrible and sweaty, but got our medals!!

8 comments:

  1. Squirrel, this is absolutely amazing! I bet you are crazy proud of yourself. I know I would be. I love bike riding!

    Yay for you. Thanks so much for sharing this adventure with us. It is very motivating. I have never done a group ride before. Hmmm...maybe it is in my future too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go!!!! Totally awesome! :) L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Squirrel!! Congratulations! I can't believe there were 9000 riders there, amazing; I'm trying to picture the mass of people and bikes....that's A LOT!

    As Cathy, I am so motivated. I have yet to get on a bike with my new hips.

    Thanks for sharing, love the pics....you look so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats girl! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats awesome! I'm proud of you, truly inspiring. Couldn't imagine 9000 riders, most I ever rode with was about 600-700 at an annual century. Must have been incredible seeing that many riders together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys ^_^ It was a pretty amazing day, it kinda doesn't feel like I actually did it, a bit surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is fantastic! I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I live in Houston, Texas, but have been to Glasgow and Edinburgh. I loved visiting Scotland!

    I've enjoyed reading some of your posts and look forward to reading more. I'll post a link to your blog on mine to share.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Michelle! Nice to 'meet' you. :) Unfortunately I've never been to Texas but perhaps one day..

    ReplyDelete