Wednesday 27 April 2011

Reading

If you asked me what my interests are, I would probably list 'reading' as one of my top 5. This is because for most of my life I have been a bit of a book-worm. I always had my nose in a book as a kid and then did an English degree at university which I loved. I wouldn't say I'm a particularly fast reader, or read especially obscure or complicated texts but I can honestly say that getting lost in a book is one of my favourite things to do.

So why is it that I haven't finished a book in about a year?!

I blame a few circumstances - my job, for tiring me out and eating up most of my day; my laptop, for being an addictive, instantly gratifying form of entertainment; my car, for doing away with my hours spent reading on buses/trains; my friends and family, for being so lovely and active in my life and leaving me little time to myself.

None of those are really an excuse. I'm not *that* tired and I could be reading right now instead of writing this blog. And after I post it I'll still probably stay up watching rubbish TV programmes until I'm so sleepy I can't hold my eyes open. I feel like my brain is disintegrating and I think I've forgotten 80% of what I learnt at university even though it was only 3 years ago that I graduated. As much as I (mostly) enjoy my job, it isn't particularly 'academic'. I take photos and videos and edit them. No need for any inside knowledge of feminist theory there.

So another one of my 'goals' for the year is to start reading for pleasure again. Have you struggled to find time to sit down with a good book away from all the hustle and bustle of daily life? And have you got any book recommendations??

5 comments:

  1. This is an ongoing issue for me. I always have about 6-8 books on my nightstand waiting to be read.... but there is so little time to read. I find it really therapeutic and if I can steal away an hour to read a favorite book, there is nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same boat, however I've learned that audio books changed my life. I borrow them from the library and listen to them while I'm driving. Entertaining, educational, AND multi-tasking. BRILLIANT!

    A few good books I've read: The Shack, Water for Elephants and I'm just starting The Help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am an avid bookworm and always have been. Despite crazy schedules and whatnot, I still rapidly demolished the Lord of the Rings Trilogy during my last semester at university. I constantly have mounds of books everywhere :)

    I went through a dry spell the past couple of years (though I always have a book on the go - it might just take me forever to finish it), but I feel like I am getting back into my old groove. I think the Kindle is helping!

    As for suggestions, if you haven't read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy then I highly reccommend. Also, I do love almost anything by Jodi Picoult - usually very heart-wrenching and quite smooth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading it helps with the pain if I get engrossed at night. Personally I love sci-fi or murder mystery. Recommend kelly armstrong, rachel caine, janet evanovitch (funny) harlen coben
    Hope you get back into be a bookworm.
    Lorna x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys!
    I tried audiobooks when I was diagnosed, I was awfully stressed and had trouble sleeping so I would stick them on - kept my mind from going in circles and helped me doze off. Only problem was I kept forgetting where i'd got to, so the next night I'd have to start almost from the start again!

    Pony, I've read some Jodi Picoult, cried my eyes out at the Pact haha.

    ReplyDelete