Sunday 25 November 2012

The joy of digging

As I mentioned in my last post, I've joined a community garden in my neighbourhood.

Today we had a group 'digging' day, to top up the soil and prepare the beds for next year. It was really good fun and between the 6 of us we managed to sort out the 2 TONNES (!!) of soil in a couple of hours. I learnt a lot about the composition of soil and what nutrients are required for vegetable growth. I also found some hidden veg in some of the beds from this year so I came home with a bag full of fresh carrots potatoes and beetroot.

It was really nice to spend an afternoon outside being active. Working in an office and living in a flat sometimes makes me really sedentary and i miss out on a lot of 'outdoors' time, especially in the short winter days.

I was also very grateful for the fact that I was able to take part in such a demanding physical activity like soil shovelling. Thanks to my meds (and a large amount of luck!) the RA seems to be at bay for now. Hooray, bring on the wheelbarrows!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so glad you continue to feel well Squirrel. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just great, Squirrel! I've always enjoyed gardening, and playing in the dirt is one of the best parts! It's almost like being a child again--and when you get dirty, you don't have to worry about your Mom yelling at you. ;o) That you got some nice, fresh, late-season veggies out of the day makes it all even better.

    Gardening makes looking forward to spring a lot more fun. Here's wishing you the best and sending warmth and comfort your way.

    ReplyDelete